May 24, 2018
cheat summon Stag_Character_BP_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Stag/Stag_Character_BP.Stag_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Megaloceros (Life's Labyrinth)
cheat summon Stag_LL_Character_BP_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Mods/Ragnarok/Custom_Assets/Bosses/LifeLabyrinth/Elk/Stag_LL_Character_BP.Stag_LL_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Megaloceros (Gauntlet2)
cheat summon Stag_Character_BP_STA_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis2/Missions/ModularMission/Gauntlet2/STA/Dinos/Stag_Character_BP_STA.Stag_Character_BP_STA'" 500 0 0 35
The Megaloceros (meg-ah-loe-seh-ross) is one of the creatures in ARK: Survival Evolved.
This section is intended to be an exact copy of what the survivor Helena Walker, the author of the dossiers, has written. There may be some discrepancies between this text and the in-game creature.
Megaloceros latuscoronam is a very skittish herbivore, found mostly in the forests and mountains of the Island. Because of its large size, its fraught demeanor would be strange in any other place. But Megaloceros knows how fierce the predators of the island are, and that it is safer to flee from them than to risk its life in a fight. The antlers of Megaloceros are very large, and make for an excellent source of keratin. This, of course, makes it a valuable resource. Unfortunately, hunting Megaloceros is not easy because of their quick speed and ability to bound over most obstacles.
Megaloceros is jack-of-all-trades creature, and many who ride it value its versatility. It is decently powerful, and its resilience, speed, and ability to jump often come in handy. Finally, the male Megaloceros' charging horn attack tends to cause targets to “bleed,” decreasing their Health, Stamina, and Speed until healed!
The Megaloceros is a passive creature. When attacked, it runs away with high speed. Females are 25% faster than males and both can jump over obstacles that are one wall tall. However, once tamed and mounted, only males can attack.
Also known as the Irish Elk or the Giant Deer, the Megaloceros simply resembles a standard deer, except as big as a horse. Megaloceros stags are recognizable by their impressive antlers, used for tussling with each other for the antlerless does. It is only found in the ARK's coldest regions where it is the most common herbivore and thus, regular prey for dire wolves and sabertooth cats, and the redwoods, where it sees the same fate as the tundra dwellers.
Color Scheme and Regions
This section displays the Megaloceros's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Megaloceros. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Megaloceros will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
This information can be used to alter the Megaloceros's regions by entering
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID> in the cheat console. For instance,
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Megaloceros's "body" magenta.
Base Stats and Growth
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase||Taming Bonus|
- For a comparison of the stats of all creatures, see Base Creature Statistics.
- For an explanation of exactly how the levelup calculation works, see Creature Stats Calculation.
- 1These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed.
- 2These are the speeds of the creature tamed and non-imprinted.
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds.
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
For general info about domesticating a wild creature see Taming.
They can be picked up by an Argentavis (needs PvP or option "Allow Flyer Carry (PvE)"), making it easy to put it in a small box with windows to shoot arrows through, so they can't escape. They are also susceptible to bolas, so you can bola a lower level one and club it into unconsciousness.
|KO: × 18; × 8; × 2; × 2; × 1; × 1|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.3 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:10:00|
|KO: × 48; × 20; × 6; × 4; × 3; × 2|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.49 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:16:30|
|KO: × 80; × 33; × 9; × 6; × 4; × 2|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.64 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:20:57|
|KO: × 111; × 46; × 13; × 8; × 6; × 3|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.77 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:24:11|
|KO: × 143; × 59; × 16; × 10; × 7; × 4|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.89 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:26:43|
|KO: × 174; × 71; × 20; × 12; × 8; × 4|
|Torpidity-depletion: 1.01 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:28:49|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator.
Ingredients for Simple Kibble: 1 × Cooked Fish Meat, 1 × Small Egg, 5 × Fiber, 5 × Mejoberry, 2 × Rockarrot, 1 × Water
This section describes how to fight against the Megaloceros.
The Megaloceros will flee from a fight when attacked, rather than fighting. This trait makes them difficult to kill, as it may be hard to shoot them while they are running. If you have one tamed then they have good damage and is stronger than the Parasaur.
Try to chase the Megaloceros against a steep cliff. If you walk up directly behind it, it will try to run up the cliff instead of fleeing to either side leaving it open to your attacks. Try to angle yourself in relation to the cliff so that you drive the Megaloceros up the steepest area which should limit its movement options. This is most easily accomplished near the beach. Megaloceros are also relatively slow swimmers so chasing them into the water is viable. Bolas are also extremely effective.
They don’t exactly have the highest health on the island so using guns is a viable option. You could also attempt to chase it down with a high speed Raptor or simply use a bola and use whatever you want.
In the wild the Megaloceros is not a danger on its own. However they are fast and can grab the attention of more aggressive carnivores such as Terror Birds and Dire Wolves.
The bleed attack mentioned in the dossier is not of any risk, since it can be only induced by tamed Megaloceros, as wild ones run when attacked.
Both male and female Megaloceros are skittish and will run when provoked.
Once you tame a Megaloceros, if it is a female and has a saddle, it can not attack.
- Gatherer: The Male Megaloceros is good for farming thatch while running through the woods, as it gathers very little wood. You should have no weight issues and should be able to easily farm 1000 thatch in a single run. It's also good for farming Rare Mushrooms in the Swamp (Level Weight and Melee Damage).
- Scout/Transport: The female Megaloceros has a very respectable speed, carry weight, and is extremely agile with its great leaping ability. However, the female does not have an attack, so there is no sense leveling up attack damage (Level Speed, Stamina, and Weight).
- Cave Mount: Megaloceros are one of the strongest mountable creatures being able to pass a cave entrance. Having a mount in caves has several advantages: Your food and water count drop slower, the mount can carry useful stuff, and they deal and take damage. Additionally, Megaloceros take reduced damage from airborne creatures, which is a very unique feature. You can wear armor protecting you from heat or cold and Onycs won't shred it, since they deal no damage to you but to your Megaloceros instead. Note that only male Megaloceros deal damage. Beware of lava though (Level Health, Melee Damage, and Stamina).
- Travel: The Megaloceros has amazing speed and jump speed and is easy to get so it can get through most terrains. It’s probably the best travel mount other than the Bloodstalker or Rex. (Level Weight, Stamina and Speed)
- Jumping: The Megaloceros can jump over obstacles that are one wall tall.
- Escape Vehicle: Because of their fast and high speed Megaloceros are a great way to quickly escape from danger.
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Megaloceros, see the relevant Wikipedia article.
- Dossier released on 9/4/2015
- The binomial name means "broad-crowned great horn", but the specific epithet is constructed incorrectly; it should be either laticoronarius or laticoronatus.
- In real life, Megaloceros is referred to by the common name 'Irish Elk', although they were distributed all across Europe, Asia, and Africa. It is also referred to by another common name, the 'Giant Elk'. It is also important to know that the Irish Elk was just one of many species of deer inside the Megaloceros genus.
- It is important to note that while the female Megaloceros is 25% faster than the male it can not attack as it lacks the antlers of the male to do so with. Keep this in mind if you intend on taming a pair to Mate Boost.
- In real life, male deer may use their antlers as weapons against other animals. However, both male and female deer more commonly use their front hooves to kick and bludgeon an offender. In fact, deer of various species have been documented to wound or even kill predators and people, whether for self-preservation or for defending a baby. This attack mechanism is not present in either of the sexes of Megaloceros in game.
- The female Megaloceros has invisible antlers, something to be aware of when taming.
- During the Winter Wonderland Event, Megaloceros wander the whole island freely because of the lower temperatures and snowy weather. It can be given a special event costume made in the Smithy that can make it look like a Christmas reindeer.
- Female Megaloceros was the fastest thing in the game while jumping. She can even outrun an Alpha Basilisk. (Fastest thing no jump)
- This title however, is overtaken by Managarmr with the release of Extinction.
- The brute megaloceros females can attack even though they lack antlers.
- The bleed mentioned in the dossier wasn't implemented until patch 300.0, and only affects survivors.
|216.0||Megaloceros is added to the game|
|216.1||Improved Male Megaloceros jumping animation|
|217.0||Removed the antlers and thus the ability to attack on the Female Megaloceros, but gave the female 25% increased Movement Speed|
|217.2||Female Megaloceros no longer grows antlers any more in singleplayer|
|220.4||Fixed Megaloceros gestation times|
|223.0||Added the creature "fur" pass to make hair and feathers look better|
|252.7||Herbivores buffed to have a 55% explosion resistance and a 65% fire resistance|
|252.8||Herbivore explosion resistance reduced from 55% to 40%|
|261.0||Female Megaloceros not retain their color properly in singleplayer|
- Requires dv value verification
- Skittish creatures
- Creatures released in v216
- Creatures released in 2015
- Creatures released in v729
- Creatures released in v501
- Creatures released in 2016
- Creatures released in v521
- Creatures released in 2018
- Creatures released in Mobile v1
- Tameable creatures
- Rideable creatures
- Breedable creatures
- Creatures that prefer simple kibbles
- Creatures that can be ridden while wielding weapons
- Creatures that drop medium feces