This article is about Glowbug, not to be confused with Glowtail
cheat summon Lightbug_Character_BaseBP_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Aberration/Dinos/Lightbug/Lightbug_Character_BaseBP.Lightbug_Character_BaseBP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Glowbug (Gauntlet2)
cheat summon Lightbug_Character_STA_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis2/Missions/ModularMission/Gauntlet2/STA/Dinos/Lightbug_Character_STA.Lightbug_Character_STA'" 500 0 0 35
The Light Bug is believed to be a descendant of the Lampyridae insect family. Typically, an insect with its characteristics will flourish in areas with no known natural predators. However, I believe the Light Bug population is moderated by the amount of creatures that vie for its charged light source. Despite being the source of a prized resource, many tribes believe the Light Bug to be sacred and admire it for its illuminance and elegant patterns.
Domesticating a Light bug would be a complete waste of time. It is not known to have any useful utility or function. I imagine you could save on fuel by using them to light a settlement.
Passive, will flee when attacked.
Holds 500 charge which can be taken similarly to Jugbugs.
Looks like an oversized lightning bug with a fairly wide green glowing aura.
Color Scheme and Regions
This section displays the Glowbug's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Glowbug. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Glowbug will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
This information can be used to alter the Glowbug's regions by entering
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID> in the cheat console. For instance,
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Glowbug's "body main" magenta.
Region 1 is not used
for this Creature.
Region 3 is not used
for this Creature.
Feet and Highlights
Base Stats and Growth
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase|
|Charge Emission Range||18||+0.9|
- For a comparison of the stats of all creatures, see Base Creature Statistics.
- For an explanation of exactly how the levelup calculation works, see Creature Stats Calculation.
- 1These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed.
- 2These are the speeds of the creature tamed and non-imprinted.
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds.
No strategy needed other than attempt to kill it quickly; before you have to chase it into potentially dangerous territory.
Any weapon will do, even a spear.
Be careful of surroundings as its high speed could kite you into danger.
For fresh to mid-tier survivors, the Glowbug can be an easy source of Chitin since they spawn in relatively high numbers in the easy spawn areas. Using a good gathering animal like a Ravager, Beelzebufo, or even a Stone Hatchet can get you a decent supply of chitin and even some meat or Cementing Paste if a Beelzebufo is used, if you are not in dire need of charge at the time.
However, if getting Charge Light supplies without relying too often on tamed Charged Light Dinos is a priority, survivors can trap them in huts/cages for easy harvesting without harming them. Wild Glowbugs can also be used as a quick an rudimentory way of scaring off Nameless, as they avoid Glowbugs because of the charge they emit.
- Charge Source
Charge can be collected with empty hands by approaching and pressing "use" (Default E//). Fills either a Charge Battery or a shoulder mounted pet. This will cause itself and any nearby Glowbug to flee, preventing any further refilling.
- Light Source
- Storing in Pens
- Seeker Attractor
- For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Glowbug, see the relevant Wikipedia article.
- The Glowbug is the only creature that emits Charge Light that isn't tamable.
- The Glowbug is seen in the Aberration trailer in a scene with the player holding a glowstick. It is seen near a small bush emitting green light.
- The torn dossier for this creature was first revealed in Community Crunch 110 on December 2, 2017.
- To the release of Aberration Studio Wildcard published a different dossier of the Glowbug with different text than the in-game version, see the gallery below.
- Glowbugs cannot be picked up by a Megalosaurus.
- A glowbug seems to only charge Charge Batteries twice in a short amount of time. (Long term not tested)
- In dossier, it is mentioned that the diet of the Glowbug is unknown, leaving to speculation as to what this creature would eat.
- It appears that firing a handheld Charge Lantern at a Glowbug forces the creature to land quite quickly and remain immobile for a second. This makes it handy for quickly filling up Charge Batteries via Glowbug.
- Although the Glowbug has the same ability that a Firefly/Lighting Bug has and Helena's notes say the insect is from the Miocene period, the Glowbug is a creature that doesn't exist in current times and has no fossils in the fossil record of this insect from the future that lives in the underworld of Aberration. This implies that possibly in the Ark universe, a fossil of a large member of the family Lampyridae was discovered, though given the Glowbug's appearance is either unrelated or a genetic fabrication as may be the case for all of Ark's creatures, so it could be an oversight of the developers.
- When rendered unconscious using Console Commands, Glowbugs enter a ragdolled state. This trait is only shared by the Human
|275.0 Aberration Expansion Release||Glowbug is added to the game|
|329.5 Genesis: Part 2 Expansion Release||Glowbug is added to Genesis: Part 2|
A wild Glowbug in Aberration.