Jump to navigation Jump to search
This information can be used to alter the Dinopithecus's regions by entering
This article is about Dinopithecus, not to be confused with Dinopithecus King
9h 55m 14.286s
9h 15m 33.333s
1d 13h 2m 13.333s
1d 22h 17m 46.667s
Total Maturation Time
3d 20h 35m 33.333s
18h - 2d
Aggressive in large groups, Skittish in small groups
I believe Dinopithecus has been changed by ARK life. This species is definitely larger than any I remember from the fossil record. And these oversized baboons show a more pack-oriented behavior than I would've expected in their kind. Whole troops will organize around an alpha, and fall apart if that alpha is slain. Though they seem to prefer a diet of fruit supplemented with the occasional bit of meat, Dinopitheci are opportunistic and will eat just about anything. They’re also excellent climbers -- I’ve seen them scramble up sheer cliff faces and leap between trees to scavenge food for their troop. Dinopitheci will bare sharp teeth and toss well-aimed handfuls of their own excrement when provoked. Their feces is what really sets this species apart -- they’ve managed to weaponize a parasite in it that disables TEK! I feel like that parasite deserves its own dossier.
If you can manage to tame enough Dinopitheci , you’ll soon find yourself with a small troop at your disposal. Your mini-troop will organize around the strongest of your tames, their new alpha that can then direct them at a target with a shrieked battle-cry. No need to saddle your tamed Dinopithecus to ride it -- it will make one for you using its own tail. Just hold on tight, and it will take you straight up walls and across ziplines. In battle, your Dinopithecus will fling fecal projectiles, grenades, or a combination that I like to call EBM, for Explosive Bowel Movement.
Color Scheme and Regions
This section displays the Dinopithecus's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Dinopithecus. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Dinopithecus will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
This information can be used to alter the Dinopithecus's regions by entering
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID> in the cheat console. For instance,
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Dinopithecus's "base skin" magenta.
Base Stats and Growth
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase||Taming Bonus|
- For a comparison of the stats of all creatures, see Base Creature Statistics.
- For an explanation of exactly how the levelup calculation works, see Creature Stats Calculation.
- 1These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed.
- 2These are the speeds of the creature tamed and non-imprinted.
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds.
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
The Dinopithecus can be cloned with the Cloning Chamber.
|Cloning calculations for Dinopithecus|
|Base Cost Values|
|Element Shards||1700 + 55 per level|
|Time||11900s + 385s per level|
X + +
Spacex2 x2 x2
The Dinopithecus can be tamed non-violently rather than through the usual methods. However, only Pack Leaders can be tamed.
To be able to passively tame it, first the Alpha within the pack has to be identified, which can only be seen with the glowing aura around its body much like other creatures with said buff. Upon discovery, start killing off every other Dinopithecus nearby as they will not allow you to start passively tame the creature (this excludes any wild baby, juvenile or adolescent nearby). After slaughtering all the nearby Dinopithecus, the alpha will attempt to flee. Reduce its health below 85% (go as low as possible before attempting to tame it), and start passively feeding it.
Be wary if any other Dinopithecus wanders nearby during the taming, as they can hinder the taming progress just by being around the alpha.
- Travel: Great travel mount with its ability to scale cliff faces. The Dinopithecus also has a very good jump ability (very similar to a Thyla). It also has great movement speed as it easily capable of defending itself against attackers.
- Feces gatherer: Is able to gather feces with primary attack
- Helmet Wearer: Is able to wear helmets, but no saddle
- Battle Mount: Incredibly good battle mount especially with a pack of them. Can easily take down larger creatures and has the ability to inflict bleed damage.
- All-Around Mount: One of the essential Lost Island mounts, the Dinopithecus can be described as an upgraded version of a Thylacoleo, as it has access to a large pack bonus, and has more versatile abilities such as grenade throwing, and being able to travel across ziplines.
- Caver: Dinopithecus is able to not gain aggro from many small cave creatures, therefore giving it an ability to sneak past most cave enemies.
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Dinopithecus, see the relevant Wikipedia article.
- There is a 40% chance a non-adult Dinopithecus will spawn.
- Dinopithecus cannot have twins or triplets.
- Maximum level of a tamed Dinopithecus on official servers is 500, just like that of Genesis creatures.
- Due to a bug, the creature currently spawns outside of Lost Island it's exclusive to (on Valguero in the Redwoods region).
- On Valguero they spawn even with Prim+ but with that mod they are textureless mesh without fur and going near them causes the game to crash. Same happens to Stego
- Dinopithecus anedmundius translates roughly to "Terrible Ape Without Edmundium", in reference to its ability to nullify element-based gear.
- The design of Dinopithecus Anedmundius appears to be a melding of the appearance of both baboons and mandrills.
- ARK's Dinopithecus has some anatomical and social differences compared to the baboons they are based on. Unlike all other species of baboon, Dinopithecus Anedmundius displays no sexual dimorphism; both males and females have the same skeletal structure, muscle volume, and the females have the same manes of fur as the males. Likewise atypical of baboon behavior; Dinopithecus Anedmundius females can be the troop leader (alpha mechanic) and rank is established by strength (level). In normal baboons, female rank is established by inheretance from birth, while male ranks are established through strength and cunning; with the troop society as a whole being patriarchal where the male leads and directs the troop's movements (not too dissimilar to the behavior of lions).
- The audio files for the Dinopithecus in-game currently do not match the sounds made by the preview in the trailer for the Lost Island, which was derived from modern baboons like the Olive or Chacma. The current audio for the Dinopithecus is more or less just a collection of deep grunts, lacking any of the alarm calls or loud screeches baboons are also known for.
|341.19 Lost Island Expansion Release||Dinopithecus is added to the game|
|341.28||Improved Dinopithecus melee attacks|
|341.31||Dinopithecus now has faster and sticky grenades|
|343.7||Dinopithecus will no longer drop its follow target when it has an attacking target.|