This page may contain spoilers related to the background-story of ARK: Survival Evolved.
If you want to experience the story ingame, you probably shouldn't continue reading on this page.
Bosses are sometimes referred to as "the Ultimate Lifeforms" or "Guardians" and can be found in boss arenas.
What Defines a Boss
Lore wise, bosses are the creatures used within the ARKs to test if survivors are worthy of ascension and are extremely powerful.
Bosses are separated by 2 subcategories: Guardians and Overseers which are used by the ARKs to test a survivor's strength and have various key features that makes them distinct.
Guardians are extremely powerful creatures used to test the survivor and are usually distinct in that:
- They will usually be fought within arenas (although they have appeared within both the Genesis Simulation and within the map itself as shown within Valguero and The Center).
- They will typically spawn minions to aid them in battle.
- They will always have at least 3 variations with 2 of the 3 usually being color coded to match the difficulty whereas the Gamma variations will be the original boss's design (Both the Crystal Wyvern Queen and Dinopithecus King have 4 variations 3 of which are difficulty variations and their true appearance is limited to spawn commands).
- They will all be within ARKs or the Genesis Simulation.
- They can be summoned from the Obelisks, supply drops and loot crates depending on the map.
- While it is generally thought that Guardians spawn exclusively from the Obelisks it is referenced that the Guardians can inhabit the map itself as the Broodmother helped to dig the artifact caves on The Island with them being among the strongest of creatures also effecting their respective ecosystems.
There are also the Overseers which are similar to the Guardians with the main thing separating them being:
- They are immensely powerful.
- They can completely control the ARKs and the creatures within them (Including the Guardians).
- They can see everything that happens within their respective Arks as shown within explorer notes.
- They are the things that make the ARKs function and work properly. When they are completely destroyed the ARK will start to self destruct.
- They can change the Arks themselves as shown in Scorched Earth where the Overseer sunk The city of Nosti.
- They all have Tek caves.
Genesis Simulation Master AI/Controller
The Genesis Colony Ship is configured with the Genesis Simulation, a series of 5 Biomes to test survivors skills, watching over these 5 Biomes is the 5 Master AI and watching over the Genesis Simulation as a whole is the Master Controller which acts similarly to the Overseer albeit with less control
- Each Biome will contain 1 Master AI.
- while being seemingly just programmed within the Genesis Simulation they are shown to have their own thoughts and will as Moeders survival instincts kicked in when Rockwell started shutting down the other Master AI and she outsmarted him.
- Its likely that all the Master AI also embodied their respective Biomes in some way.
- The Master Controller acts similarly to the Overseer and monitors the Genesis Simulation albier not with nearly as much control as shown when Rockwell used the Corrupted Master Controller to make fake threats of deleting the simulation with the Survivor in it.
While most creatures within Ark can be identified into a category there are a few that don't fit within a classification, they can be encountered within the Genesis Colony Ship, Ragnarok and Fjordur and unlike the last 3 classification have no intention of helping the Survivor, they are distinct in that:
- All of them are not used to help the Survivor and if anything act as powerful threats to the Survivors (especially with the Genesis Colony Ship Bosses specifically made by Rockwell Prime to stop the player).
- They usually act as much stronger variants of other creatures.
The Creatures that don't fit within classification are the Spirit Direwolf, Spirit Direbear, Lava Elemental, Iceworm Queen, Malfunctioned Mek Knight, Malfunctioned Tek Stryder, Macro-Summoner, Experimental Giganotosaurus, Rockwell Prime, Beyla, Hati, Sköll and Steinbjörn.
THIS PART CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR GENESIS: PART 1 SO IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS DON'T LOOK AT THE GENESIS SUBSECTION.
There are also 2 different categories of bosses which are different in both gameplay and lore from the Ark bosses.
1. Titans are completely separate from bosses but are often mistaken to be bosses. They consist of the Ice Titan, Forest Titan, Desert Titan and King Titan/ Alpha King Titan, for more information on them click the link above labeled Titans or the one within this sentence.
2. The 5 Master AI and The Master Controller which are used within the Genesis Simulation. The Master AI function similarly to Overseers however they are creatures like the Guardians and are highly intelligent like the Overseers sharing traits from both the Ark Boss subcategories. The Master Controller appears to function similarly to the Overseer as it controls everything including the Master AI. To some extent, however, it seems that it is not as necessary as the Overseers are, since the Master AI themselves are extremely intelligent. In fact the Corrupted Master Controller could not fully control everything as he couldn't turn off Moeder, Master of the Ocean like the other 4 Master AI and is only partially capable of running the Genesis Simulation. It also appears that it can't Transform into the 5 Master AI in the way the Overseers can transform into their Ark's respective Guardians. There appears to be 2 different kinds of Master Controllers: The original Master Controller which controlled and ran the Genesis Simulation alongside the 5 Master AI and the Corrupted Master Controller which was the Master Controller version of Rockwell, which hacked into the Genesis Simulation taking control of it similarly to how Rockwell took control of Aberration and turned off 4 of the 5 Master AI with only Moeder left, who outsmarted Rockwell by shutting herself down and preventing him from turning her off as he did the other 4 Master AI.
3. Rockwell Prime controls some part of the Genesis Ship in Genesis: Part 2. While he has functions similar to that of an Overseer, he does not have full reign over the ship, indefinitely stuck at a corner on one ring of the Ship. This only corrupted one of the rings, bending to his desire whilst his innards erode and transmogrify the interior of said ring, turning nearly all parts of the interior ship into his fleshy innards, with creatures such as Summoner, Macrophage and such guarding said innards, along with frequent presence of the tentacles. He does not have full reign over the other ring or control the ship's destination since it was stuck under a constant travel loop. Much like his previous form at Aberration ARK, he is deeply rooted within the terminus of the ship, unable to move at all and relies on others to do his bidding.
Why there are different categories of Bosses
This tab was created to clear up confusion within the community as to why bosses are separated into categories and what makes them fit into a certain category while not fitting into others.
There are 4 main categories of bosses within Ark that branch out specifically because of lore and gameplay.
Do note that all of them regardless of category are all bosses and share a few similarities, such as Health Bars and having Trophy Heads. However, they are categorized for much deeper reasons both gameplay and story wise.
- Ark bosses (or Guardians) are the bosses used on the Island, Scorched Earth and Aberration all of which are within separate Arks and in lore are used specifically to help train survivors to ascend to earth to help kill the Titans and cleanse the Corruption. They were created as a result of the Titans decimating the planet. (More information can be seen above on what defines a boss.)
- Titans are massive and powerful creatures and are the cause for the story of Ark as they along with an army of corrupted creatures killed billions of humans forcing them to retreat into space. Their origins are not completely known, but it is implied they could have accidentally been created by extreme exposure to Element (in a manner similar to Rockwell’s transformation). They are different in that all of them spawn above level 999 and are world bosses. They all also share the trait of being massive in size.
- Master AI are creatures used within the Genesis Simulation and are closer to the traditional Ark bosses. For instance, just like the Ark bosses the Master AI are also used to help humanity. However, they are separate from Ark bosses as they are used for a different purpose called "The Arrival." Whereas Ark bosses are used to train survivors to eliminate the Titans and Corruption, the Master AI are not used within an Ark but the Genesis Simulation.
- Rockwell, whilst having similar behavior to that of an Overseer, is not strictly considered to be one, but instead acts as a parasitic controller to the Genesis Ship rather than inside an ARK. Much like Master AI, his sole purpose was to attempt to reshape the world to his liking, hence his phrase "This is to be my world, the first of many...".
List of Bosses
|Common / In Game NameName||Released||Diet||Temperament||TameableTame||RideableRide||BreedableBreed||Saddle LevelSaddle||Entity ID|
|Alpha Corrupted Master Controller||Unknown||Unknown||No||No||No||N/A||VRMainBoss_Character_Hard_C|
|Alpha King Titan||Unknown||Highly Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||KingKaiju_Character_BP_Alpha_C|
|Alpha Moeder, Master of the Ocean||Unknown||Unknown||No||No||No||N/A||EelBoss_Character_BP_Hard_C|
|Beta Corrupted Master Controller||Unknown||Unknown||No||No||No||N/A||VRMainBoss_Character_Medium_C|
|Beta King Titan||Unknown||Highly Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||KingKaiju_Character_BP_Beta_C|
|Beta Moeder, Master of the Ocean||Unknown||Unknown||No||No||No||N/A||EelBoss_Character_BP_Medium_C|
|Broodmother Lysrix (Alpha)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||SpiderL_Character_BP_Hard_C|
|Broodmother Lysrix (Beta)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||SpiderL_Character_BP_Medium_C|
|Broodmother Lysrix (Gamma)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||SpiderL_Character_BP_Easy_C|
|Corrupted Master Controller||Unknown||Unknown||No||No||No||N/A||VRMainBoss_Character_C|
|Crystal Wyvern Queen||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||CrystalWyvern_Character_BP_Boss_C|
|Crystal Wyvern Queen (Alpha)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||CrystalWyvern_Character_BP_Boss_Hard_C|
|Crystal Wyvern Queen (Beta)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||CrystalWyvern_Character_BP_Boss_Medium_C|
|Crystal Wyvern Queen (Gamma)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||CrystalWyvern_Character_BP_Boss_Easy_C|
|Dinopithecus King (Alpha)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||Dinopithecus_Character_BP_C|
|Dinopithecus King (Beta)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||Dinopithecus_Character_BP_C|
|Dinopithecus King (Gamma)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||Dinopithecus_Character_BP_C|
|Gamma Corrupted Master Controller||Unknown||Unknown||No||No||No||N/A||VRMainBoss_Character_Easy_C|
|Gamma King Titan||Unknown||Highly Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||KingKaiju_Character_BP_C|
|Gamma Moeder, Master of the Ocean||Unknown||Unknown||No||No||No||N/A||EelBoss_Character_BP_C|
|Lava Elemental||Minerals||Extremely Territorial||No||No||No||N/A||LavaGolem_Character_BP_C|
|Moeder, Master of the Ocean||Unknown||Unknown||No||No||No||N/A||EelBoss_Character_BP_C|
|Rockwell Node (Alpha)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||RockwellNode_Character_BP_FinalFight_Alpha_C|
|Rockwell Node (Beta)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||RockwellNode_Character_BP_FinalFight_Beta_C|
|Rockwell Node (Gamma)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||RockwellNode_Character_BP_FinalFight_Gamma_C|
|Rockwell Prime (Alpha)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||RockwellNode_Character_BP_Boss_Alpha_C|
|Rockwell Prime (Beta)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||RockwellNode_Character_BP_Boss_Beta_C|
|Rockwell Prime (Gamma)||Unknown||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||RockwellNode_Character_BP_Boss_Gamma_C|
There are 55 Bosses (including variants).