May 24, 2018
cheat summon Dolphin_Character_BP_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Dolphin/Dolphin_Character_BP.Dolphin_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Ichthyosaurus (Race)
cheat summon RaceDolphin_Character_BP_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis/Dinos/MissionVariants/Race/RaceDolphin_Character_BP.RaceDolphin_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
cheat summon Ocean_Dolphin_Character_BP_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis/Dinos/BiomeVariants/Ocean_Dolphin/Ocean_Dolphin_Character_BP.Ocean_Dolphin_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant X-Ichthyosaurus (Escort)
cheat summon Ocean_Dolphin_Character_BP_Escort_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis/Dinos/MissionVariants/Escort/Ocean/Ocean_Dolphin_Character_BP_Escort.Ocean_Dolphin_Character_BP_Escort'" 500 0 0 35
Late Triassic - Early JurassicDiet
Ichthyosaurus curiosa is a comparatively small carnivore found in the waters around the island. It is slightly larger than a human, but that’s still small compared to the leviathans roaming these waters. It seems to be very interested in any creature around its size, often approaching and following humans swimming through its waters. Despite its appearance, the Ichthyosaurus is neither a fish nor an ocean mammal. Like many creatures in the waters around the island, it is actually an aquatic reptile.
I can’t think of a better mount for someone starting to explore the island’s seas and waterways. Ichthyosaurus is comparatively fast swimmer, and even in the wild will cozy right up to you and try to figure out what you’re doing. Taming these is actually pretty easy, as they seem to love humans and will be fed and tamed without the use of violence.
Ichthyosaurs are a very friendly species to most creatures, and will often swim towards you and around you out of curiosity. They will push you ashore if you run out of stamina and can't surface for oxygen in time. They act a lot like modern dolphins. Ichthyosaurs in the northwestern waters can be found killing and eating wild Kairuku.
An Ichthyosaur is a mid-sized marine reptile, taking the rough shape of a dolphin. It has large eyes for spying fish and squid in the dark depths, a long snout for catching said prey, and a large brain that gives the animal its inherently curious nature.
Color Scheme and Regions
This section displays the Ichthyosaurus's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Ichthyosaurus. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Ichthyosaurus will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
This information can be used to alter the Ichthyosaurus's regions by entering
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID> in the cheat console. For instance,
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Ichthyosaurus's "body" magenta.
X-Ichthyosaurus is a tameable X variant of the Ichthyosaurus found in the Ocean Biome on Genesis: Part 1. It is identical to the normal specie except for a patterned robe. It has 5% × Melee Damage increase at the exchange of 3% × Health reduction. On official servers its level cap is 500.
Base Stats and Growth
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase||Taming Bonus|
- For a comparison of the stats of all creatures, see Base Creature Statistics.
- For an explanation of exactly how the levelup calculation works, see Creature Stats Calculation.
- 1These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed.
- 2These are the speeds of the creature tamed and non-imprinted.
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds.
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
This section describes how to fight against the Ichthy.
The Ichthy will flee once you or your tame attacks it.
There are two ways of doing this:
- It's recommend using a fast water mount and chasing it down, which is the most effective and fastest way.
- The more wasteful and time consuming way is to get a fast flying mount, pick up a friend or tribe mate, and have them get a gun or bow/crossbow and shoot it from above.
Any aquatic mount or even just spears can take out an Ichthyosaur. You may also need SCUBA Flippers if you don’t have a mount.
These animals don't have that much health, so killing them isn't that difficult in general.
The Ichthy is unable to be tamed through the standard tranquilize-and-feed methods, and must be tamed non-violently.
To feed it, place meat or kibble on the last slot of your hotbar, then when approached press use (default E, , ) to feed it. You cannot feed them all the meat required for taming at one time, you must wait every couple of minutes until it is hungry again to feed it more until it's taming meter is filled.
- The Ichthyosaurus will nuzzle up to tamed creatures, so using them to help tame them is recommended.
- The Ichthyosaurus may try to swim away while you are taming it.
- If you find the Ichthyosaurus keeps running away you might be able to get between it and the open ocean forcing it to run to the shallows where it could get stuck for you to tame it. It's still likely it may get away though so blocking it in even further might help as well.It is advised not to try and tame them in open water.
- It will co-habitat with Megalodons and Mantas, which together with the water can make taming them a bit dangerous.
|Level 1||Feeding Interval||Time|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||3||03:51||0:07:43|
|Raw Prime Meat||2||05:09||0:05:09|
|Cooked Prime Meat||4||03:25||0:10:17|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||5||01:36||0:06:26|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||9||01:29||0:11:54|
|Raw Fish Meat||13||01:23||0:16:43|
|Cooked Fish Meat||25||00:40||0:16:05|
|Level 30||Feeding Interval||Time|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||6||03:05||0:15:25|
|Raw Prime Meat||4||03:26||0:10:18|
|Cooked Prime Meat||8||02:56||0:20:33|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||10||01:25||0:12:52|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||20||01:23||0:26:26|
|Raw Fish Meat||30||01:19||0:38:35|
|Cooked Fish Meat||59||00:39||0:37:56|
|Level 60||Feeding Interval||Time|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||10||02:51||0:25:42|
|Raw Prime Meat||7||03:00||0:18:01|
|Cooked Prime Meat||13||02:47||0:33:24|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||16||01:22||0:20:35|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||32||01:21||0:42:17|
|Raw Fish Meat||47||01:18||1:00:26|
|Cooked Fish Meat||94||00:38||1:00:26|
|Level 90||Feeding Interval||Time|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||13||02:47||0:33:24|
|Raw Prime Meat||9||02:53||0:23:09|
|Cooked Prime Meat||18||02:43||0:46:15|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||22||01:20||0:28:18|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||43||01:21||0:56:49|
|Raw Fish Meat||65||01:18||1:23:35|
|Cooked Fish Meat||129||00:38||1:22:56|
|Level 120||Feeding Interval||Time|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||17||02:43||0:43:40|
|Raw Prime Meat||11||02:49||0:28:18|
|Cooked Prime Meat||22||02:41||0:56:31|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||28||01:20||0:36:01|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||55||01:20||1:12:40|
|Raw Fish Meat||83||01:18||1:46:43|
|Cooked Fish Meat||165||00:38||1:46:05|
|Level 150||Feeding Interval||Time|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||20||02:42||0:51:23|
|Raw Prime Meat||14||02:46||0:36:01|
|Cooked Prime Meat||27||02:40||1:09:22|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||34||01:19||0:43:43|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||67||01:20||1:28:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||100||01:17||2:08:35|
|Cooked Fish Meat||200||00:38||2:08:35|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator. Ingredients for Simple Kibble: 1 × Cooked Fish Meat, 1 × Small Egg, 5 × Fiber, 5 × Mejoberry, 2 × Rockarrot, 1 × Water
- Scout: A tamed, mounted Ichthyosaurus will be ignored by every terrestrial predator in the game no matter where you are, as long as you don't attack them. Even then, you can still dart away unharmed, making them the perfect aquatic scout for small rivers and deep oceans. If you give lots of points to movement speed then this creature is perfect for scouting the oceans of Ark in no time. Perfect to find some underwater creatures when you need them.
- Black Pearl Farmer: It can be used to farm Eurypterids since it is the only mount besides the Angler that has no knockback, which usually has a massive effect on the Eurypterids, and because of that they may be constantly attacked and killed effortlessly by the Ichthy. A big advantage compared to the Angler is that the Ichthy does not gain any torpor, which the Eurypterids can massively inflict (Level Health and Melee Damage).
- Travel: Ichthyosaurus is remarkably fast even with normal speed, and the player can be more than capable of going extremely close to predators and dash off without being caught when riding this animal (Most predators ignores it however). If you give lots of points to movement speed and some stamina than the Ichthy is the perfect creature to scout the whole oceans of Ark in no time.
- River Access: Because Ichthyosaurus is smaller it can easily maneuver through rivers and other areas that the larger sea creatures can not. Although the Ichthyosaurus can travel up rivers it will get stuck in water that is too shallow for it to swim lucky a fish basket can help to get Ichthyosaurus unstuck.
- Security: Predators in shallow water will ignore a player mounted on Ichthyosaurus, even the most dangerous like Baryonyx and Megapiranha. However the predators will retaliate if attacked, in which case it's easy to escape if your route isn't blocked.
- Transport: With it's decent speed it could take you with your items/resources in no time without being bothered by sea predators, except that it has not much weight like most sea mounts. (Level up movement speed, weight, and stamina if needed.)
- Taming Mount: You can hold weapons while riding an Ichthyosaurus, so feel free to bring your crossbow, making it useful early underwater taming mount for early levels without waiting to endgame levels in order to acquire SCUBA gear to swim fast. The Ichthy swims very fast and can outswim most sea predators so you don't really need SCUBA gears for that, and if you gave lots of points to movement speed your Ichthy doesn't even have to sprint. Here's the tactic: Ride your Ichthyosaurus, find your desired sea creature, pick your finest position to shoot the creature (DO NOT UNMOUNT), everytime the angry creature get's close to you swim away while riding your Ichthy from it but not to far, then turn around and repeat. Don't get hit too often due to it's low HP unless if you add lots of points to HP or confident enough. This tactic is very useful to tame any sea creatures on early level (if you have at least a crossbow and tranq arrows) from Angler, Megalodon to larger sea creatures like Plesiosaur and even the Mosasaurus if you are patient enough and can be done by any survivors if they know the Ichthyosaurus' utilities. It became time consuming however if your wanted sea creature is high level so you probably need to scout the island to find deep sea loot crates for good quality crossbows if possible, because you can't shoot tranq darts underwater. Or you can just wait to have harpoon launcher and tranq spear bolts which is an endgame item, so crossbows is still one of the most used underwater weapon/knock-out tame. The only downside is that you could drown if you don't wear SCUBA gear, so get up to the surface every time once your oxygen drops very low and go to the deeps again after you recover your oxygen. To do this method you'll need to add lots of points on your own oxygen in order to stay in the water for a long periods of time, but once you have SCUBA gear, you don't need to resurface in order to recover oxygen ever again.
- Escape Vehicle: Because they are faster than most of the other sea creatures the Ichthyosaur is a good a animal to use as a getaway to escape most of the dangers found in water. Because their small size allows them to enter rivers the Ichthyosaurs speed can be used to escape land creatures that can attack them when traveling through rivers.
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Ichthyosaurus, see the relevant Wikipedia article.
- Before patch 183.2, Ichthyosaurs would die if even a fraction of them was above the water.
- Prior to being added, Ichthyosaurus was referred to in the "upcoming week patch notes" as Shastasaurus which is a much larger related species.
- Ichthyosaurus was the third creature to be added along with the Plesiosaurus
- When the Ichthyosaurus was added as the first creature to be tameable non-violently, there was plans to make all herbivores have this option as well. However, this was never implemented.
- They are one of the few species in Ark to retain their eating animation after they are tamed. However their eating animation is slightly glitched as their long snouts actually cross each other.
- Ichthyosaurus are attracted by other tamed Ichthy and Megalodons.
- Although being attracted to water pets may be a benefit for players looking to tame one, not moving for even a few moments could attract enough to stop your Plesiosaur or Mosasaurus from moving.
- Despite the common belief that Icthyosaurus is playful and curious in ARK, they can actually be quite aggressive to wild terrestrial creatures. So long as a player or tamed animal is nowhere in the vicinity, Icthyosaurus are very aggressive, similar to Megalodons, and will attack just about any land animal that gets into the same vicinity of them. Although they can be found in the north killing and eating Kairuku, they often tussle with Carbonemys in warmer waters; they will attack Ankylosaurus, Carnotaurus, Raptors, and even Rexes if there is no player in the immediate vicinity. This is most likely a bug.
- If you tranq a creature, like a Parasaur, and it slides into the ocean where Ichthies are present, they will attack and eat the drowned creature.
- The largest icthyosaur in real life, Shonisaurus sikanniensis, was more massive and nearly twice as long as a sperm whale, weighing in at an incredible 75 tons, and measuring in at an astounding 21 meters in length. Shonisaurus is the largest extinct marine animal ever discovered.
- Oddly enough on maps such as Valguero, Ichthyosaurus tend to commit suicide by moving too close to the water's surface
- In Addition to this on Valguero the Ichthyosaurus can be found beached as a resource node providing a easy source of Spoiled Meat and Organic Polymer
- In shallow water or if they are to close to the shore Ichthyosaur will get beached sometimes instantly killing them or getting stuck but still alive making it easier to get meat from them.
|181.0||Ichthyosaurus is added to the game|
|183.2||Water creatures should no longer be able to breech the water and die instantly|
|183.3||Water creatures no longer die when surfacing in underwater caves|
|193.0||Water creatures swimming against the water's surface is now smoother and shouldn't result in as much hard-stopping|
|201.4||Ichthyosaurus can be tamed again|
|213.0||Water creatures will now correctly follow Rafts|
|231.8||Fixed a rare case where a water creature would appear on a client to fly off into the air when unboarding it|
|256.0||Ichthyosaurus Movement Speed reduced from 5% to 3% gain per level|
|260.0||Fixed Tamed Ichthyosaurus from swimming in circles during battles or in attempt to eat corpses|
|264.52||Spyglass and GPS are now usable on all water creatures|
|279.275||Reduced Movement Speed of Ichthyosaurus by approximately 35%|
|305.12||Fixed a bug where the Fish Basket wasn't returning creatures properly|
|306.41 Genesis: Part 1 Expansion Release||Added X-Ichthyosaurus|
|312.65||Reduced Ichthyosaurus maturation time. Now matches the Roll Rat|