Once you are in its aggro range, it chases you until you get out of range just like any other Deathworm. Also like other Deathworms, it can despawn while it is chasing you. If you want to prevent it from despawning, be sure to make it "pop" up every minute or less as they have a very very short despawn period. If it is not aggroed, the Alpha will remain stationary just like normal Deathworms.
An ice-themed version of the Alpha Deathworm, found on Ragnarok, and the final boss of the Frozen Dungeon. It has a light blue color scheme with white appendages and grey claws.
Alpha Deathworms look like regular Deathworms, but are far bigger and have a red glow.
Head and Sides
Region 1 is not used
for this Creature.
Region 3 is not used
for this Creature.
Back and Spikes
The Alpha Deathworm can spawn anywhere in the Dunes but seems to be more common farther away from regular land. Search at night as the glow of the Alpha will be far easier to spot.
It is not recommended to fight any Deathworms with a Rock Elemental because they do reduced damage to Deathworms while Deathworms do a significant amount of damage to them.
A Rex with at least 10,000 health and 400% damage can take one down albeit with very little health remaining (up to 6 to 8 thousand health can be lost). So it is best to have multiple perfect Rexes or a tribemate or two standing a good distance away hitting it with fire arrows.
Another way to kill it is to make it pop up with a fast tame (or a slower one that can take hits) by running (or flying) directly at it then straight past it, hopping off, and hitting it with fire arrows when you're a good distance away. This works well enough because it stays up significantly longer than a regular Deathworm and it still gets hurt from fire damage while underground (the blood damage appears above its sand mound)
Possibly the best way to fight Deathworms with little risk is to use oil jars and fire arrows paired with a fast mount. Before aggroing a Deathworm, throw an oil jar on the ground and light it. Then, lead the Deathworm into the fire and continuously make it pop up over the fire until it runs out. If done correctly, this should only consume three Oil Jars and three Flame Arrows per Deathworm. The only disadvantage this method has is it cannot be used in rain, as it extinguished the oil jar's fire much quicker. You can also use high-level Lightning Wyverns to stay out of range of its bite and get that damage before it burrows underground.
Fire arrows, and Oil Jars.
Level 100 or above tamed Rex(es) with 10k health and 400% damage.
Lightning Wyverns level 150 and more are also really effective.
This creature could attack you at any time and it is hard to tell where it is until it comes out of the ground. So always be prepared when they could strike. However, since it is an Alpha Creature, it has that distinct red glow which makes it easier to find than a regular Deathworm. Even when it is under the sand, you can see the alpha aura rising above its location.
- The Alpha Deathworm has similar weaknesses to the normal Deathworm, such as using a Rock Elemental to tank its hits.
- This is one of the two Alpha Creatures released in Scorched Earth, the other being the Alpha Fire Wyvern.
- The Alpha Deathworm is the largest creature on Scorched Earth.
- The Alpha Deathworm was the Largest creature in the game until the Aberration Expansion Pack came out with Rockwell replacing the Alpha Deathworm for that title.
- The Alpha Deathworm drops 20 Deathworm Horns upon death, useful for a tribe that is looking to tame a Mantis.
- Unlike the normal Deathworm, the Alpha Deathworm cannot be summoned on The Island and The Center.
- The Alpha Deathworm also does not spawn on Ragnarok, though the Iceworm Queen does, and seems to be its replacement.
- The Alpha Deathworm is one of the largest creatures in game even surpassing the Titanosaur and the smaller Titans (tested on Ragnarok by spawning the Iceworm Queen at the top of the castle and spawning in a Forest Titan) if you take into consideration the rest of its body that's submerged in the ground and how the body curves it would at least be 70 meters long possibly reaching up to 80 meters or larger.